Rooftop solar in Australia hits record heights
More than 1.5 million homes now using solar PV systems
Media Release, 11 February 2016: The number of Australian homes using solar energy has officially surpassed the 1.5 million mark, cementing Australia as the world leader in rooftop solar.
Figures released by the the Clean Energy Regulator overnight show as of February there were 1,507,766 households with rooftop which means there is now a solar panel in use for every man, woman and child living in the country.
Australian Solar Council chief executive John Grimes said collectively rooftop solar systems in Australia are generating more than 4.7 gigawatts of power, which was equivalent to four of the country’s major power stations.
“In suburbs and towns rights across the country, more than 1.5 million families are saving money on their power bills thanks to rooftop solar. Collectively, they are generating the same amount of energy as four large power stations, with zero emissions, which gives new meaning to the term ‘people power’.”
Australians who have gone solar include:
- A Tasmanian solar homeowner who will have paid off their system as of this year
- A former truck driver in Queensland who now works in the solar industry, and is the proud owner of his own money-saving system
- Great-grandparents who used their emergency savings to purchase a system to create a better future for their 12 grandchildren and great-grandchildren
- An Adelaide resident who convinced six other owner-occupiers in their unit complex to get solar systems at the same time and are now celebrating the decision together
- A NSW resident who bargained down an initial $3000 system quote to less than a $1000 per household for an entire over 50s village
Solar Citizens National Director Claire O’Rourke said new technologies entering the market and decreasing costs mean that it’s never been a better time to go solar.
“Australians want clean, renewable, efficient and affordable electricity, which is why the Government must deliver strong policies that will help people access the many benefits of solar and get a fair return on their rooftop investment,” she said.
Mr Grimes said this rooftop solar revolution was also benefiting other electricity users as well as the country more broadly.
“Rooftop solar has created a whole new industry which employs some 20,000 people and creates clean energy at times when we need it most, like during heatwaves. This helps the system cope and suppresses electricity prices,” he said.
For interviews, picture opportunities or to connect with a solar owner in your region contact Sarah on 0420 892 450 or Dinah on 0425 791 394.